Ranked as Nigerian Best Pop Artist, Nigerian superstar acts Wizkid and Yemi Alade have been nominated for the Best International Act, alongside South African trio of hip hop giants AKA and Cassper Nyovest and dance/house legend Black Coffee.
Wizkid is pretty much the biggest thing in Nigerian pop, which itself seems to advance on the global music stage almost as quickly as the country’s economy, one of the fastest growing in the world. He scored a massive smash last year with “Ojuelegba,” an insatiable rags-to-riches hit with a shoulder-shrugging Afrobeat, which inspired Drake to jump on a remix (the two linked up after expressing mutual admiration over Instagram). “Ojuelegba” is prime and perfect Afropop, characterized by a shuffling, whistling charisma, an elegant rhythm, and a message of positivity and parties. It is distinctly Nigerian, yes, but also—in the way that all songs that worm their way around the world are—an inspirational anthem for many.
Wizkid, who at 25 years old already adorns Pepsi ads in his native country, has become almost as known for his trendsetting style as his sound, and his is a thoughtful and fun approach to wardrobe: clean lines and minimalism; a mix of fresh streetwear with traditional Nigerian clothes; and bold, bright accessories. When we Skype, he has paired a tunic tailored in his hometown of Lagos with a loose sweatshirt and big, bulky sneakers, an outfit that epitomizes his blend of the local and universal. In Lagos, he is so famous he can hardly walk around without being mobbed by fans, but in London, where he is currently finishing an EP, he enjoys the relative anonymity the city affords him, particularly because it allows him to partake in one of his favorite hobbies: shopping. Here, we discuss style with one of Africa’s biggest stars.
By achieving fame and fortune before turning 20, Wizkid has emerged the face of the new generation of pop stars, giving hope to a large mass of young Nigerians seeking success in the Nigerian music terrain.
With a huge pile of awards, Wizkid is unarguably one of the biggest acts from Africa. Check out his list of awards below…
- 2013 Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Video of the Year – ‘Azonto’
- 2013 Ghana Music Awards – African Artiste of the Year
- 2013 City People Entertainment Awards – Musician of the Year
- 2013 The Future Awards – Musician of the Year
- BET Awards 2012 – Best International Act: Africa
- Headies 2012 – Artiste of the Year, Hip Hop World Revelation of the year
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Best Album of the Year for Superstar, Best Pop/R&B Artiste of the Year
- 2012 MOBO Awards – Best African Act
- 2011 Dynamix All Youth Awards – Artiste of the Year
- 2011 Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Best New Act of the Year
- 2011 The Headies – Next Rated
- 2011 City People Entertainment Awards – Best New Male Artiste
- 2011 Dynamix All Youth Awards – Promising Artiste of the Year
- 2015 MAMA
- 2015 MOBO Awards – Best African Act
- 2014 Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Male Artiste of the Year
- 2014 NEA – Best Music Video of the Year
- 2014 Africa Muzik Magazine Awards – Best Male West Africa
- 2014 City People Entertainment Awards – Musician of the Year & Most Popular Song of the Year.
- 2014 World Music Awards – World’s Best Live Act, World’s Best Male Artiste, World’s Best Song
- 2013 – The Headies – Best Music Video, Best Collabo
- 2013 NMVA – Best Afro Beat Video
- 2013 – MTV Europe Music Awards – Best African Act
- 2013 – MOBO Awards – Best African Act
- 2013 NEA – Best Pop/R&B Artiste of the Year
- 2013 MTV Europe Music Awards – Best African Act
- 2013 Most Gifted West African Video of the Year
- 2012 The Headies – Album of the Year
- NEA 2012 – Hottest Single of the Year, Best Music Video of the Year,
- 2012 Ghana Music Awards – African Artiste of the Year
- 2012 NMVA Best Afro Pop Video
- 2012 Channel O Music Video Awards – Most Gifted Newcomer Video
- 2011 MTV Europe Music Awards
- 2011 The Headies – Best Pop Single
With many more international recognition and features, Wizimatic.com.ng is ranking Wizkid as the Best Pop artist in Africa.. Kudos Starboy!!!!!